Friday, June 21, 2013

Free for all Friday!!!!!

It's my blog and I'll do what I wanna.......... (okay, this is just a nice way of saying I couldn't come up with a snazzy title for today's blog).  In any event, this blog is dedicated to ALL things pageantry, not just report and recapping pageant winners.  So today is a little free for all - a hodge podge of pageant thoughts if you will.


So first up - I received an note from a mom in the Mid West asking for advice on her 14 year-old outgoing daughter, who wants to enter pageants - she has a strong personality, but doesn't have a performing arts "talent".  I figured, since she was kind enough to ask my opinion, I should be as thorough as possible.  I am sure there are others who probably have the same question, so I will share some of the contents of my response here.....hopefully, it's helpful to you or someone you know!  Keep in mind, this is just my semi-PROFESSIONAL/UNBIASED opinion and not an endorsement of ANY pageant.

For your daughter 14 year old, I would start with your state's High School America pageant.  It's less structured than National American Miss (N.A.M.).  They don't have a non-compete clause nor will you need a local title to compete in the state system. There is no swimsuit or talent competition. The national competition is in Orlando, Florida.   Also, if she is interested in doing community service, you could try the Miss Teen International pageant. This system is heavily based in having a platform that you promote throughout the year.  It's pretty intense, having a significant interview portion. The other categories are fun fashion, evening gown and fitness. 

Other pageants you could try are International Junior Miss or National American Miss.  It looks like NAM, in which your younger daughter could also participate, will be having competitions in your state in August.  Like I mentioned earlier, I would first take her to see one in person to get a feel for the atmosphere.

I am not sure what other systems have state competitions in your area, but doing a Google search is a good place to start.  Sites like this are useful.  Just to give you an idea of beginning expenses and preparation - you'll need to invest in a quality formal gown, perhaps fun fashion (which could range), and interview suit or dress, a few good pair of shoes, great hair maintenance and overall age-appropriate glam.  Don't worry about having the best of anything. I tell my clients all the time, judges aren't looking for the best - everyone is going to look great.  We are looking for who we can mark OFF.  It gives us less to judge and a smaller pool to pick winners from.  With that said, cut, proper fit, good coloring and age appropriateness are more important that what anything cost or from where you brought it.


 She seemed pleased with these little tidbits, and I think I got her pointed in the right direction....perhaps she will follow up with me with GREAT NEWS in the coming months!!

In other news, did ANYONE see how fabulous Jennifer Lopez looked as she received her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!  Talk about orientation/prelim viewing or contestant dinner GLAM!!! 


Finally!   Good luck to all the 2013 Miss Maryland America contestants who will have their finals tomorrow night to decide who will go to Atlantic City.  Unashamedly, I have a favorite (who's already won a prelim competition) but....you know my theory - it can go anyway with the judges. So ladies of the Mu and Delta groups, I hope you brought it this week!  I know I will be eagerly waiting to learn who will represent the Free State in September.

2013 Miss Maryland America Contestants
Have a PEARLFECT weekend dear friends!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting.