Thursday, February 3, 2011

Put a ring on it.....

Beyonce' truly changed the social scene in 2010 with her phenomenal hit, "Put a Ring on it", where she basically proclaimed to a certain gentlemen, don't get mad because someone else wants me, "if you liked it, then you should have put a ring on it."   But really, what happens when a pageant girl gets that ring? Miss America 2009 Katie Stam became a fiancee' on stage, when her boyfriend dropped to one knee and proposed. 

Katie said yes and all is right with the world.  In July 2010, she married Brian Irk in Indianapolis and I can help but wonder if the title Mrs. Indiana America 20xx could be in her future.  Perhaps Mrs. pageants are the new black!!!!

I recently had a chance to catch up with one of my favorite Mrs. titleholders, Rebecca Crosen, Mrs. Virginia International 2011.  In July, she will compete for the Mrs. International crown.  For the past three months she has been out and about promoting her platform "It's Hip to Give" and educating the public about blood donation.  I asked Rebecca  to tell me about her reign so far and this is what she had to say"


"I have had the pleasure of sharing moments with Al Roker of NBC at a Teens With a Purpose Event, meeting women during Go Red events, enjoying the laughter of children at different functions, and taking a lot of time to thank and encourage blood donors.  From spending time with models at a fashion show or athletes in Virginia's Special Olympics, the past three months have been nothing short of amazing.
 Chatting with Al Roker at the Teens With a Purpose Banquet in October 2010 in Portsmouth, VA
While I have the opportunity as Mrs. Virginia International to meet and interact with many new people at an array of activities, my favorite moments to date come from the blood drives where I have an opportunity to say thank you to blood donors.  January was especially busy since it was National Blood Donor Month and I shared my story of living with two forms of Anemia and my need for multiple blood transfusions.   Sharing my message through my platform, "It's Hip 2 Give", and regional blood centers, we are encouraging more people to become blood donors and educating them on the reasons for donation.  Sometimes all it takes for encouragement is to show them the benefits.  Connecting blood donors to the lives they save is integral to continued donation.
 January 24 & 25th found the Crosen family celebrating with the athletes at the Virginia Special Olympics Alpine Championships in Wintergreen, VA.
 I have a small "fun-mission" called the "Traveling Crown" - Virginia has about 95 counties within the Commonwealth. I promised myself that I would make a point to visit each county and so far, I have visited 27, therefore, I have a little more work to do!  I look forward to the next 9 months and I hope to see you on the road with the "Traveling Crown"!

My first of 4 visits with WTVR-CBS 6 came in November as I visit the Virginia This Morning show

Go Rebecca, Keep up the GREAT work!!!!! Just because you put a ring on it, doesn't mean everything from your single past should fall by the waist side.  Mrs. pageants - the ageless, timeless gift that keeps on giving.  This from a former Mrs. state titleholder of course!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting.